Tuesday, February 12, 2008

modern trailer trash {our project has begun!}



Dave and I have always loved camping - the stars, the s'mores, the early morning coffee, it's all so romantic. He surfs, and I love the being anywhere near the ocean, so we've always taken our trips along the coast; Oregon, Washington, Vancouver, Big Sur, Carmel, and all of Southern California right on into Mexico. There are some amazing campgrounds along the SoCal coast - Malibu and Santa Barbara have just about the nicest spots imaginable (palm tree lines beached with cozy camgrounds nestled right on the beach). So, instead of spending mucho dinero on swanky hotels along the way (I still enjoy this, of course), we thought we'd mix it up and buy a tent trailer.

We found ours on Craigslist, and it's so cute, 2 queen beds, a mini fridge, stove and sink, and even a breakfast "nook" with bench seats. We're in the process of a remodel, more of a gutting really. We tore out the cabinets, ripped up the linoleum and have already laid bamboo flooring. Next, we'll either fix up the cabinets (sand & paint them), or buy new ones at IKEA, and then it's on to the textiles (my personal favorite). Also, I'd like to put in all new stainless appliances (even though they are all mini versions, but still).

I will continue to post updates as we go along. And, we'll be booking our campsites along the coast soon! (this image is not actually a tent trailer, but it's so cute I had to post it.)

6 comments:

Gjelly said...

Oh my gosh, that sounds like so much fun! I've always wanted a vintage Airstream. Also, Carpinteria is one of my favorite places to go camping.... I can't wait to see pictures of your progress!

Ms. Mayhem said...

Fantastic, can't wait for the updates! And pics, I hope.

Anonymous said...

Lucky you!! I'm so excited too see the progress!!

Calie Durant said...

Amber that is way cool. I never doubted for a moment that it would be trashy. Cant wait to see the final pictures!

dayna said...

so fun. i can't wait to see it!

Anonymous said...

Can't it be just a wee bit trashy? It would be so fun to go on a trashy road trip camping vacay with you guys. We could wear daisy dukes and snap into some Slim Jims and cook beans over a fire. Come on!