Tuesday, October 28, 2008

the harvest party


The second annual Harvest Party was so much fun ~ a day of dear friends, crazy good food, adorable kids crafting, and yes, even adult pumpkin relay races. For the relay race we teamed women against men, the men winning by a landslide - darn those well-balanced men. I had a craft table set up on the porch for all the kids, lots of stickers and harvest-coloring projects. The food, oh the food: potatoes gratin, baked mac 'n cheese with prosciutto, lasagna w/ bechemel sauce, blue cheese stuffed dates, spinach salad, frosted pumpkin cookies, caramel apples - the list goes on and on. I am still full two days later. The decor: I made branches hanging with leaves to hang over the burlap covered tables, vases of sunflowers and wheat placed around the house, and pretty harvest corn draped around the front door. I'm thrilled to have this Fall tradition, it really doesn't get any better.

5 comments:

Petunia Face said...

I guess I don't take losing easily, but I've been thinking about the pumpkin relay and the guys had a definite advantage in their short hair. Seriously--every last one of them has sort of thick, bushy, spiky hair, creating a perfect nest for the pumpkin to sit in. Then there's us women who for the most part have long hair--silky, well-conditioned hair that the pumpkins just slid off of. So I'm calling "foul!"

Even with the estrogen loss, it was an awesome party. Maybe you should have one for every turn of the season? No pressure or anything. I just like your shindigs.

Courtney said...

Amber, this sounds absolutely amazing...and one of the most inspiring party ideas ever. It gets everyone in the spirit of Fall and what a way to celebrate the cooler weather, changing leaves, and seasonal foods! I love this.

Sarah's Fab Day said...

Your party looked like it was loads of fun! Love it.

benson said...

how wonderful for the whole family!

Alex said...

love the pics