Sunday, March 16, 2008

tai chi, surfing and date-night {live from Kauai}


Each morning begins with a beach walk, about 2 miles, from one end of the bay to the other. I see the same people each morning, we now exchange "hello's" and kind familiar glances, their dogs run to greet me and I almost feel like a local (although, we overheard that you have to live here 2 years before they stop considering you a tourist).
Today was different. As I walked past a Tai Chi class of about 25 people nestled into the corner of the beach, the instructor, a wise older man who was a dead ringer for Sean Connery, locked eyes with me. He stopped his class and beckoned me over. I declined, "oh, no, thank you, just going for a walk", I whispered nervously, trying not interrupt. But his eyes stayed on me, as did the students all with their hands in prayer position, it was kind of spooky, but his eyes were loving and kind, and so I went. I've never practiced Tai Chi, it was all about balance and concise movements that we timed with the sound of the ocean. We practiced for a full hour and then gathered together for a prayer about always having compassion, and then I was off to begin my day.
I have to say, the day felt more focused, Dave took me out surfing and I popped right up, what a great feeling! Later, we went out on a date, for drinks at sunset and dinner. Ah, romance, there's nothing like it!

7 comments:

Stacie Frazier - Haute Shots said...

Sounds like a perfect day!

Megan said...

Neato! Brian bought a new PS2 and Rock Star since their was a total deal if you bought both. We played that for hours today, so opposite of Tai Chi, but it was a lovely day for us too. I killed on Paranoid and Celebrity Skin.

Anonymous said...

Are you sure it wasn't David Carradine from Kung Fu? He kinda' looks like Sean Connery and seems more apt to beckon you to Tai Chi.

Megan said...

I meant to write "there was a total deal". Clearly I was rocking so hard that I lost some precious brain cells last night.

Tonia Conger said...

What a dream day! I've always wanted to try Tai Chi! I'm proud of you for listening to Sean Connery and joining the class.
Wouldn't you love to live in Kaua'i long enough to REALLY be considered a local.
Love your updates!

Anonymous said...

You guys are gorgeous! I feel like I have been with you on this wonderful trip! You write like a dream. The blog is a delight. I am so proud of you.

Love

Your fairy godmother

Ten Thousand Only said...

are you now inspired to become a local? i am! and i'm not even there!!!